What Your Heart Needs for the Hard Days by Holley Gerth

Holley Gerth devotional

Have I ever mentioned how much I love Holley Gerth? I don’t even remember how I first found out about her books. It might of been through the company Day Spring. I have written a book review for one of her books,  Hope for Difficult Times(You’re Going to be Okay). I find her books very uplifting and comforting. Whenever I’m going through a tough time I feel like I am listening to a close friend through he pages of her book.

What Your Heart Needs for the Hard Days by Holley Gerth is a devotional book and very easy to read. Each devotion is about three pages long. They are written about different kinds of hard experiences you may be facing, such as feeling weary or discouraged. I know we have all been there. Sometimes we just need a little pick me up to get us through the day, and that is exactly what Holley Gerth delivers.

I love what she has at the end of each devotion. She has a place to write what you want to say to God, and what you hear God saying to you. Some of the titles are God Enjoys your Joys and God Will Bear Your Burdens. The first one really caught my attention. God enjoys my joy? I guess that’s something I usually don’t think about on a daily basis. Holley Gerth states “Yet through the years I’ve come to understand that my joy brings my heavenly Father joy too.” She describes it like a mother delighting in her child. Holley explains that doesn’t mean we get whatever we want even when we want something good. I often thought about this when it came to the death of my first child. Why wouldn’t God want to heal my daughter? That is a good thing. She reminds us that we live in a fallen world. Right now we won’t know why certain things don’t happen. Life can have a lot of heartache. But God will not leave things like this forever and I’m so glad for that! There are still many things that bring us joy in this life like a beautiful sunset, the birth of a child, or enjoying the afternoon with a good friend.

What Your Heart Needs for the Hard Days

I really  liked the second devotion I mentioned. It’s sometimes so hard to admit that we need help and that we need someone to lean on during difficult times. Dealing with a chronic illness forces you to lean on other people at times. It is never easy asking someone for help. I wrote about that in my post How to Ask friends for Support in Tough Times. Even though I have had a bit of practice asking for help I still don’t feel comfortable doing it. I like how Holley says that letting them help you is giving them a chance to love you. God doesn’t expect us to do life by ourselves. He wants to help us with our burdens and He often does that through other people. God wants us to rely on Him. We don’t have to be strong all the time. I can still use practice at letting others help me. I also want to help others in return when I’m able.

Letting God bear our burdens

I

I highly recommend this book. If you would like to purchase it you may do so through my affiliate link by clicking on the book at the top of this post. You will have the support and encouragement of a friend for 52 days! I am here for you too. For more info on my disclosure policy you may go to my about page.

Coffee-for-Your-Heart-150

Comments

1. says

This sounds like a very inspiring devotional. Your post has been a good reminder that I have a God I can share my joys with. And seeing things from the perspective that when we let others help us we are letting God work through them too. I should share that with my husband because we are both people who do not feel comfortable asking for help unless we have to.

2. says

I have not heard of her but this is a book I can see I would enjoy as like you I also lost my first daughter so I will be checking out her books the next time I am in our local book store.

3. says

“Letting someone meet your needs is part of letting them love you.”

I always enjoy inspiration and tips on strengthening my marriage (and other relationships). This is my new favorite quote on love because it shows yet another way to view love. <3
    Monica recently posted…Precious, Sleeping Babies at 1:00AMMy Profile

4. says

Ok first of all, I had never heard of Holley Gerth until one day I pinned a quote that was attributed to her. The quote spoke to me so much that when I later created my blog, I have her quote on the top of the front page! This is wonderful to learn who she is and what she’s about! As a Christian, I’m thrilled that I’ve been using another Believer’s quote.

Second, your post is very touching and my heart deeply hurts for the loss of your daughter. I’m so glad you have the strength of your faith and the works of others to minister to you. Although I’ve not experienced that specific loss, I have other deeply painful ones that have been hard to get past. It was hard for me to understand that I could still have joy in life. I appreciate this quote that you provided: “Yet through the years I’ve come to understand that my joy brings my heavenly Father joy too.” She describes it like a mother delighting in her child.

Thank you for sharing.
    Debbie Thompson recently posted…8 Great Ways to Stay MotivatedMy Profile

5. says

What a great read…I think after having our fourth baby in five years, I’m finally able ask for help, I love what you quoted that allowing our friends and family to help is “giving them a chance to love you”…of course they want to help, we’d want to help them if they needed us 🙂 not easy but such a valuable lesson…great encouragement, thank you!
    Dawn recently posted…Rock this Mother’s Day: What your mom REALLY wants for a gift!My Profile

6. says

I never heard of the author Holley Gerth but her books sound inspirational. The older I get I am more aware of the things that are really important in life. Thank you for the information.

7. says

I love the reminder of asking a friend to meet your needs. I’m bad at this, but I think there have been times where friends have found out I was going through something and been very hurt because they didn’t know. It does allow them to love you!
    Cortney Hogan recently posted…Generation Change Week 4My Profile

8. says

I’ve never heard of this book, or the author, Holley Gerth, but I adore the title! I love reading, but I’m afraid this book wouldn’t be my cup of tea. However, it sounds like a wonderful read for those who enjoy devotional books. Or perhaps haven’t read a devotional book in the past but could really use it at the point they’re at in life. Thank you for sharing your review!
    Lalia @ Found Frolicking recently posted…I Left My Heart in San FranciscoMy Profile

9. says

I am going to put this on my list of books to buy. It sounds like something I really need. I suck at asking for help but oddly was just giving my sister-in-law the “let others feel good to help you” speech last week. lol

• Tanya says

Yes, it does seem to be easier to tell others they should let people help them, but so hard to do ourselves!

10. says

This reminds me of an insight which was once given to me by a professor about the parable of the good samaratin. The way it’s worded in the Bible the samaratin is the neighbor, right? But Jesus isn’t saying be a good neighbor and help others as the samaratin does (though obviously He does teach us to help others) but instead he’s telling us to love our neighbor and using the samaratin as the neighbor. That is that we should accept help even from those we may even be prejudiced against or view as less than, as Jews in those days did Samaratins. It was a dimension I hadn’t seen before. Your comments about accepting help reminded me of this.
    Pamela M. M. Berkeley recently posted…TogetherMy Profile

11. says

I have always wanted to read a book by her…will have to check this one out! I need a good devotional! Thanks for the recommendation!

12. says

I am the same way. I have a hard time asking for help ALWAYS. I do love to give help to others though. I need to remember that so that I can be a blessing to others when I need help. Thank you for the reminder.

13. says

Thank you for the book recommendation. I also have a hard time asking for help from others. It takes all of my courage to ask for it, even when people reassure me that it’s okay to ask for help.
    Nikki Renee recently posted…Wrong Number WeekMy Profile